Friday, February 18, 2011

The Journey We Called Life

Fear. Denial. Anger. Bitterness. Loneliness. Guilt. Depression. These emotions, for better or worse, will always be there haunting us as we go through this journey called Life. As a kid, my only worries were getting good grades and finishing my homework in time. As I am going to turn 33 years old this year, I must say that we face a tougher road ahead and it doesn't get any easier.

And I'm sure that I'm not the only one facing these emotions, sometimes on a daily basis. Just flip through the newspapers or browse through internet news and you will read and watch horrible news. Kids killing kids. Adults killing kids. A single bomb goes out killing innocents and the murderers claiming it is an act in the name of God. A father rapes his own daughter in front of his wife and she said nothing, keeping silent out of fear.

I am a great believer that we are capable of great things. That we can be the most compassionate beings that God has ever created in this universe but we are also capable of the most evil acts imaginable. The regime of Hitler is a grimly reminder on how cruel one can be. How one man can instill so much hate in thousands and millions of people and committed genocide in the name of hate.

Fear. Denial. Anger. Bitterness. Loneliness. Guilt. Depression.

But 3 years ago, I made a decision. I decided that I'm not going to let these emotions control my life. Instead, I'm going to control the journey of my life and make things better for myself, the love of my life and my family. I read the Quran everyday, let His words inspire me as I face my daily challenges. I started to work out 4 times weekly as I believe a healthy body will make the mind stronger. And I purge out all these emotions out of my system.

And it worked. It is not an immediate thing but it definitely worked. I found peace within and this peace surrounds everything I do now. And now that I have started meditating after dawn prayers, I am filled with a sense of hope for myself and mankind.

But what about making mistakes? I know I still make mistakes and I'm far from perfect. Read the words here for I believe in these words of wisdom :

"Looking back on what I've said all those years ago, all the hopes and dreams I had. I've come to the conclusion that if having things turn out the way you wanted them to is a measure of a successful life, then some would say that I'm a failure. The important thing is not to be bitter over life's disappointments. 


Learn to let go of the past and recognize everyday won't be sunny. And when you find yourself lost in the darkness of despair, remember that it's only in the black of the night that you can see the stars. And those stars will lead you back home. So don't be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most.


Maybe you'll get everything you wish for. Maybe you'll get more than you ever could have imagined. Who knows where life will take you? The road is long, and in the end, the journey is the destination"

- Coach Whitey Durham, One Tree Hill, Season 3 Episode 15

So, don't be afraid to let go and live your life to the fullest. Make mistakes but do learn from them.

"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact."

- Henry James  




No comments:

Post a Comment